Senior Programme Assistant in Sukhumi
UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
INTERNAL / EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Vacancy Notice No. VN/06/2020
Title of Post Senior Programme Assistant
Category/grade General Service, G5
Post Number 10032290
Type of contract Fixed-term appointment
Date of Issue 29 September 2020
Effective date of assignment 15 November 2020
Closing Date 13 October 2020
The incumbent is a member of the Programme Unit in the UNHCR Operation and reports to Head of Field Office in Gali. The Senior Programme Assistant performs a variety of functions related to programme and other activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The Programme Officer may provide functional supervision. Under the overall direction of the Programme Unit, and in coordination with other Field Office staff, NGO partners and other stakeholders etc. the Senior Programme Assistant works directly with Implementing Partners and monitors field activities. The Senior Programme Assistant also provides administrative assistance and support in routine services and activities within Programme and Project Control areas.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members within the organization to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; and with the external contacts, including the UNHCR persons of concern, Implementing Partners (IPs), UN Agencies, International and local NGOs, and other stakeholders on issues of importance to the Organization.
In addition to the responsibilities described under the functional statement below, the candidate should be involved in supporting Finance and Project Control units with quarterly financial verification of Partners projects, provide inputs to Project Control staff for preparing verification reports, submitting the required verification documentation when required, assisting in provision of relevant records thereby enabling relevant colleagues to timely record/process vouchers, entitlements, DSA, petty cash etc. and assisting in programmatic, financial, post-distribution monitoring matters related to the management of the UNHCR cash based intervention (CBI) programme as per the established standard operating procedures (SoPs). The incumbent is also expected to engage in communication and advocacy work to advance the issues of concern to UNHCR, thus previous experience in communication work would greatly benefit him/her in performing related responsibilities.
The position requires the incumbent to work independently with minimal supervision, hence, s/he needs to have a good command in the areas of programme management and implementation and financial management. The incumbent may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/region programme(s). UNHCR Manual, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the Senior Programme Assistant.
S/he is expected to have contacts within the organization and outside the duty station, as well as with partners and other stakeholders to collect information, monitor programme activities and implement administrative requirements. Relevant programme and administrative work experience in international organizations, preferably the ones operating in Abkhazia, would be considered an asset. The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT) approach as defined within the Programme Manual, ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Programme Management Cycle.
The position requires frequent travel within Abkhazia and extensive periods of time will be spent in the Field Office in Gali. Travels beyond Abkhazia are expected as needed.
Fluency in Russian language is an essential requirement for the position.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Provide administrative assistance and support in routine services and activities within Programme thus better able to meet the needs of persons of concern.
- Assist in organizing and documenting the selection of partners in accordance with the policy on selection and retention of partners, ensuring due diligence to meet the requirements of projects.
- Provide support to ensure partnership agreements are established in a timely manner, regularly monitored and reported on, in compliance with established guidelines and procedures included in the framework for implementing with partners.
- Guided by the MFT approach, support the development and implementation of monitoring plans for activities implemented through partnerships and those under direct implementation in line with Programme Manual and programming instructions.
- Contribute to the review and analysis of operations plans, mid-year and year-end reports, ensuring quality assurance and compliance with established policies, guidelines, procedures and standards. Generate and maintain records of implementation rate (performance progress and expenditures) on a regular basis.
- Assist in ensuring compliance with issuance of audit certificates for partners in line with the Policy on Risk-Based Project Audits.
- Use UNHCR’s corporate tools (e.g. Focus Client, Global Focus Insight and FOCUS Reader, MSRP) for core activities related to planning, budgeting, implementation and reporting, generating data for evidence-based programmatic decisions and analysis.
- Actively contribute to UNHCRs programming of community of practice and continuously contributing to improvements of programming tools and processes.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Secondary education courses/ training/ certificate;
- Minimum 4 years of previous job experience relevant to the function;
- Computer skills (in MS office) including advanced Excel skills (pivot tables, data management, etc.;
- Fluency in English language;
- Demonstrated experience in programme management, operation management cycle and related processes;
- Knowledge of Results Based-Management.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to function of the position including Programme Management – Level 1. E-tutoring of PM1, Framework for Implementing with Partners Learning Programme.
- Experience in programme management training and capacity building activities.
Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Stakeholder Management
Internal candidates: Interested staff members should consult the Administrative Instruction on the Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS) (UNHCR/AI/2020/1/Rev.1 dated 30 March 2020). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, updated factsheet (for internals), signed Personal History Form (for externals) by e-mail clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: email@example.com by the closing date.
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet is attached.
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do
გამოცდილების დონე: საშუალო
ბოლო ვადა: 14/10/2020