Call for Guidelines in Crisis Management in Civil Service System
Tetra Tech ARD
Tetra Tech ARD is anouncing vacancy on Short-term consultant to develop guidelines on crisis management in civil service system.
USAID has awarded Tetra Tech ARD with a contract under the Office of Democracy and Governance, whose purpose is to support the Government of Georgia in strengthening overall transparency, accountability and effectiveness of selected governance and service delivery systems. GGI’s work targets the legislative and executive branches at both the central and local government levels. To ensure greater government accountability, GGI works with government and civil society representatives to enhance public participation and disseminate public information about key reforms.
The objectives of GGI are to improve administrative and financial management of public institutions at all levels, to increase civic engagement and improved access to independent, reliable and balanced information relevant to Georgia’s good governance, to strengthen policy development and law-making processes and to strengthen institutional oversight of government.
Recent pandemic outbreak of COVID 19 forced public agencies of Georgia to change ordinary work environment and practices and adjust them to existing needs, including switching to telework. Given pandemic situation, this decision had a positive influence on preventing or minimizing risks of spreading further the virus, and at the same time, to the extent possible, ensured uninterrupted and sustainable operation of public service agencies of Georgia. However, this was an ad-hoc decision as the civil service of Georgia has neither planned nor been prepared for such a crisis.
The objective of the assignment is to support CSB to: a) analyze challenges identified in public agencies during crisis; b) based on these findings and best international practices, create respective crisis management guidelines for the reference of civil servants with decision making mandate; and, c) create guidelines defining the role of the CSB during crises.
Therefore, GGI is looking to hire a short-term consultant that will work with the Civil Service Bureau (CSB) and GGI to conduct analysis and develop respective crisis management guidelines.
- Conduct research to analyze crisis management practices and reveal challenges facing public agencies during pandemic outbreak at all levels of governance.
- Describe several real-life cases in the case study format, describing the specific challenges of the civil service and the importance of guidelines and overall better preparedness.
- Conduct interviews/focus group discussions, organize and participate in meetings with all relevant stakeholders to learn existing crisis management practices in public agencies at central and local levels.
- Develop a draft guideline on crisis management in civil service system.
- Hold a workshop for CSB to discuss the draft Guidelines and Recommendations.
- Closely cooperate with international STTA and CSB staff to perform assignment.
- Desk research summarizing key findings of the interviews (focus group discussions), in Georgian.
- Description of several (2-3) case studies illustrating crises related challenges and the importance of guidelines / better preparedness, in Georgian.
- Draft Guidelines and Recommendations on crisis management in civil service system, in Georgian.
- Report on the meetings/interviews/presentations/workshops conducted (sign-in sheets, photos, etc.), in English.
- Advanced university degree in law, public administration, management, or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience with the focus on Public administration Reform / Civil Service Reform / management. Professional experience in crisis management will be a strong advantage.
- Experience in working with government agencies.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, in Georgian and in English.
- The total length of this consultancy is 29 workdays, which should be allocated between June 5 to August 14, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CVs and brief cover letters (in Georgian) to: email@example.com no later than May 25, 2020. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview. No telephone calls will be taken for this position.
გამოცდილების დონე: საშუალო
ბოლო ვადა: 30/05/2020